This little girl here, is why I try to never ever give up on a session. Sometimes, with older baby photography, they are a bit shy. They know who their mama is, and they know I’m not her. They start recognizing strangers and between this crazy lady with a camera in their face, flashing lights and a strange new surrounding (oh, and we have probably just dressed them in something that isn’t pajamas or that isn’t theirs…who doesn’t love an adorable photography outfit?!) they can be a bit hesitant. Baby S here is 9 months old and wasn’t at all thrilled at this experience unfolding before her. There were tears. Frowns. Pouty lips. She reached for her mama. But, with a little time to get her settled and with some gentle (and quiet…she does not like peek-a-boo or any other surprising noises lol) coaxing, we managed to stick it through and get some seriously AH-DORABLE older baby images. Like adorable.
Older baby photography is quickly becoming one of my favourite types of sessions. Here’s why:
1) Older babies are quickly developing their personalities. Which I love. They are sometimes quiet, like Little Miss S here, or sometimes really outgoing and silly. Either way, I love the challenge of photographing these older babies who keep me guessing. It really does keep me on my toes.
2) They usually (USUALLY) don’t move around much. Sometimes older baby photography does require mom and me to break out into a sweat catching and repositioning baby back into the studio space, but usually, even if they do move, I have secret ways to keep them still (ie. catching them off guard with my flashing lights, making REALLY silly noises…except not for Miss S, she cried, using my tickle device to keep them sitting and looking at me and when all else fails, mom just repeatedly puts them back into their spot – hence the sweating business).
3) The older baby smiles melt my heart. I love being able to see those little toofers popping through. They go from gummy little grins to teeth shower-offers in no time.
4) The props. What we call “sitter” sessions or milestone sessions are becoming very popular. So, prop makers have been making the most adorable darn props for these adorable darn babies!
5) You’re capturing a very important milestone. What comes between brand spakin new baby and I’m a walking, talking toddler? Why this stage! Older baby photography captures these darlings at a super important milestone. They’re sitting up. They can sometimes crawl around. They can sit in things and on things. It’s just a whole new fun way to capture your baby! Oh, and the time it’s appropriate and adorable to capture your child’s little naked bum is so slim, so embrace this stage and photograph it!!
Anywhooo, enough about why I LOVE.MY.JOB. and moving onto Little Miss S and a few favourites from her older baby photo mini session!
What are those down there? Little piggies? Hehe when they look at their tummy and toes it makes my heart smile.
This adorable outfit is by Pup & Frank Photo Props
There is just something about this happy as can be naked baby photo that melts my heart! It’s one of my personal favourites!
How beautiful are those baby blues?! She’s so darn cute!!
Oh, and reason 6) often they have the chubbiest cheeks that just spill all over the darn place and you just want to nomnom them. Gah.
If you are interested in booking an older baby photography session, you don’t have to wait for a mini session special! We offer mini and super mini sessions in studio all the time! To book, please contact me (Kelly) via phone at 519-717-7002 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow the “CONTACT” link above and fill out the form. You can also connect with me on Facebook where you can also see some of my latest photos and specials!